Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Holy Batman, Japan

In case you've stuffed your ears with cotton balls to drown out the noise your children make, like I do every day, and haven't yet heard, we're picking up shop and heading westward, way-way-westward to Japan. Consider it a "gift" from the Navy. Years of dedicated service, countless sacrifices for the "mission" and promises of greener pastures (within the great forty-eight) be damned. Okay, so maybe my attitude is a little sour since these orders aren't even close to what we wanted or assured were coming our way, my usage of air quotes was your first tipoff, right? I would have preferred some other kind of gift, like maybe a KitchenAid mixer or riding lawnmower, how cute would I be on a John Deere! Lawn equipment aside, I know what you're thinking, how can you be upset at the opportunity to live abroad, to experience such a wonderous culture? I have to say it though, to get it out of my system, we've already done our overseas tour, remember Navy, we volunteered for that one. There's a Yogi somewhere saying, "cleanisng deep breath...Ommmm, Ommmm." Through countless meditations to reveal my inner peace, I've to come around to this eventuality. Yogi would be so proud. We are moving, no amount of talking will change that, and being upset will get me nowhere. So in the spirit of being adventurous and channeling my once audicous self, I've decided to embrace all the amazing things The Fegley Four are going to be exposed to in Japan.

We just gotta get there. I checked, a cruise to Japan is out of the question. Something about pirates at the Horn of Africa. I thought Johnny Depp wasn't going to make another sequel. *Yes, Husband, I know you'd never cruise in that direction to get to Japan, you'd cruise by Hawaii, but I thought the whole pirates off the coast of Africa showcased my knowledge of current events better. Anyways, we're going to have to rely on the lovely folks at PSD *insert snickers and sneers* to lead us the right way.

Memphis-->Dallas (7 hours driving) to drop off the van in vehicle storage
Dallas-->Seattle (4.5 hours flying) staying overnight
Seattle-->Yokota Air Force Base (14 hours)

They're known as the friendly skies, though I suspect that moniker will change after having Georgia up there for 14 hours. Have you ever seen Georgia sit still? Or be quiet? The child is in perpetual motion and so is her mouth. She is seriously cute and adorable but that wears off around hour 4. Throw wild card Olivia into the mix, who rather run than sit still in your lap, and those skies could get downright warlike. Can you say Benadryl! *no MOMS friends, I would never drug my child, I was talking about myself.

Sorry for the aside, back to the trip...
Yokota AFB-->Commander Fleet Activities Yokosuka (3 hours driving)

Good times.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I cannot imagine Georgia (or Hutch, her opposite sex counterpart) on a plane for 14 hours. Everyone on the plane would have their hands over their ears after about 3 hours of:

What's that?
Who's that?
What's her name?
What's his name?
Can I have a snack?
Can I have a snack?
Why?
Why?
Why?
Did you see that?
Did you see that?

You definitely need drugs (for you and the other passengers, not the kids!)!!