Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Ready, set...Blog

I've spent a lot of time, and by a lot I mean I've neglected my children as they wandered the house looking for me, eating cheerios off the floor because they were hungry and scratching at the office door like dogs to let them in, to bring you this blog and update our website. The move to Japan is so huge and there is so much distance, both tangible and intangible between us, that I had to do this to make our lives more accessible. Also because I like to read my own writing. Back in the day, I used to be quite a talent. That's me looking in the rear view mirror however this is a good way to dust off some cobwebs and see the light is still turned on inside this mommy-brain of mine. So in the spirit that this blog is brought to you, I want you to participate too. Leave me comments. Share this blog with others. Ask me questions about Japan. Come back often.

If you'll turn your attention to the right sidebar. So you don't mistake the time and call me at 2:45 in the morning one day, I've included a very appropriate sushi clock so you'll always be aware that it is already tomorrow in Japan. Also, a lovely weather geisha, a currency converter so you too can be reminded how weak the US dollar is, interesting Japanese news headlines (for both sets of parents who seem addicted to Fox News) and lastly, a totally trivial, but addictive, sushi game to wile your time away. Ooh, I almost forget the best, an audio file so you can learn along with me a new Japanese word or phrase a day. By the time you come to visit, you'll be able to ask important questions like, "how much sake is too much sake", "where can I find the nearest discotheque," or the ever necessary, "where is the toilet."

And now for our technology-challenged readers (I'm thinking you Dad), some pointers on how blogs work: the posts are organized by newest first, and archived monthly on the right sidebar. If you want to check out an old post, just go to the archives to find it. Posts will also be tagged, so if you're interested in food specific posts for example, you can search by the tag "food." Pictures will be clickable to view larger and sometimes I might hyperlink text in another color, meaning you can click on it and be directed to another website with information about whatever topic I was blogging about. Finally, to leave a comment, after the post you will see a link to comments, it might say "0 comments" if you're the first to post or hopefully someone out there will have honored my request for comments and it will say "12 comments". Click, leave your comment and then choose how you want your name to appear. Please leave your name. Most users, at least family members, click on Name/URL and put your name there.

Arigatou Gozaimasu!

Japanese language lesson #1: Thank you = Arigatou gozaimasu (Ah-ree-gah-too-koh-zie-mah-soo)

0 comments: