Sunday, January 25, 2009

Live and from Japan

Sorry for the delay in posting folks, but I did just travel 6 hours via car, 16 hours via airplane and 2 hours via bus to get here. Actually, the laptop took a harsh crash from a certain well-meaning little girl and this moment, at 9:29pm, was my first chance to get on here to post. I wish I was feeling more creative and editorial but my body is screaming like 10,000 little pins are pricking it, so I will be short.

We arrived. The damages were minor.

WTF Husband took one for team. The aforementioned well-meaning little girl knocked over a cup of hot coffee off the seat back tray table and Daddy threw his body in the oncoming fire. So he spent the next 14 hours with a coffee stained shirt and pants. Too bad I rethought packing a change of clothes for the adults. Olivia had a mommy-wanted-one-last-good-mexican-meal-before-moving-to-Japan-and-thought-it-was-a-good-idea-to-feed-me-black-beans diaper and exploded out of her clothes and onto Mark's lap. Thankfully, the coffee stains camouflaged the diaper stains. Poor Daddy!

We were on the receiving end of what I am pretty sure was Japanese mocking as we tried to push a stroller, two carseats, a dog kennel and 13 pieces of assorted luggage and carry-ons piled onto 3 airports carts through the airport. Mark took the two heaviest, whilst I pushed one and pulled the stroller and carseats. All the while Georgia yelled that she had to go poop, repeatedly and then again, pause to catch breath, and again. What great ambassadors for the US! The airport itself was easy to navigate and we had no problems going through immigrations, quarantine or customs. My preparedness paid off. Oddly though, I felt proud despite the laughing and pointing fingers. We survived it and did it mostly gracefully, which was more than I had hoped for. Mark and I are still married so that is a testament of our fortitude. Maybe they weren't laughing at us, but rather impressed that a bunch of gaijins did it so well.

Tha-tha-that's all folks.

5 comments:

Courtney Sims said...

HI Angela! So glad you made it there safe! I know your family will be greatly missed! My little boy was in Georgia's class! He has talked about her non stop! Today he asked if Georgia's house in Japan would have stairs?! Then he answered his self well i guess he'd find out when he visited her there! He asked if we could drive there! Do you have a gymboree? or I guess you haven't really had time to figure that out yet!

Alisa said...

GREAT blog! ;)
And ... Welcome!
I'll be adding you to my blog role (if thats ok...)

If you need anything... I am in Ikego. I also 'did my time' in Navy Lodge (5~6 weeks) and it SUCKED bad.... so feel free to contact me, if you wanna get outts dodge! haha

I love Japan! We fought long and hard to come back yet, another time. ;) I hope you enjoy Japan too!

Amy said...

So glad that you guys made it safely (more than you can say for Marks pants, but how many pants can say they have traveled to Japan?). So good that he was such a sport about it! I can't even imagine doing it and it sounds like you guys did it like champs with just a few minor incidents!

You guys should be proud, that was a big voyage you went on. And they weren't laughing, merely expressing that they were glad it wasn't them dragging all that through an airport and listening to their daughter chant "I have to poop!" :)

SabrinaT said...

You have an amazing witting style. Welcome to Japan..

Katie said...

Welcome to Japan...glad you're all in one piece and you two are still married! Anxious to meet you when AOB is over :)